Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blind Dates-2

I went on a blind date Friday night. It was with someone who I've talked to over the phone for a couple of weeks. On the phone she didn't seem too interested, just somewhat indifferent towards me. I figure no big deal, at least I get to know someone new. From my side of things, I thought she was cool over the phone but there is something not right that I can't quite put my finger on yet. Recently we decided to meet for dinner and see what the other person is like in the flesh. The plan was for dinner and I got the feeling that she was going cause she felt a bit obligated to meet.

When I picked her up I quickly realized that she is much more beautiful in person than the pictures I had seen. We went to an Italian place I've been to before and I've known the owner for years. By shear luck the owner was there and made a big deal about me and later in the night, he even entertained us with some Italian love songs. Pretty romantic, but also creepy for a first date. My date was entertained by the whole thing though and although I could tell she was a bit uncomfortable, she played along. Dinner conversation was good. She even made eye contact while talking (she's got some beautiful eyes). We joked around a bit, talked about work, families and pop culture. I really enjoyed the conversation.

To my surprise, after dinner she was down with going out around town for some after dinner drinks. We went to a couple of lounge/quiet bars where we could talk and hang out. It was cool. She seemed to loosen up a bit and I also started to feel more comfortable. We walked around the city a bit to get from place to place and most of the time, I offered my arm to her. I really was trying to be a gentleman. As the night progressed, we started sitting a bit closer and eventually we kissed for a bit. After that, we ended up going to the river just to check out the view and than I took her home.

Overall, I thought the date was a good one. Still was a bit confused cause through it all, she seemed a bit withdrawn, but maybe its just my paranoia? I did the followup text on my way home and called the next day to thank her for a lovely evening. We talked about maybe trying to meet up again soon (we live 3 hours from eachother).

Today I got a call from her. We talked pleasantries for a bit and than she said she needed to talk to me about something. I figure okay, here it comes... She said she had fun but wasn't feeling the chemistry with me. She wants to slow things down and see where it goes. I responded that I can understand that and after all the life lessons I've learned, I know better than to rush into things. We pretty much left it at that and will talk again soon.

What perplexes me is that I think I may have sent the wrong signals to her. Did I behave in a way that made her think she needs to slow things down? Maybe I shouldn't have asked for a second date so soon? On the other hand, maybe she really isn't feeling me. I might just be in the friend zone now. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things and this is how dating is supposed to go. Being off the scene for so long, I don't really know what to expect or do anymore.

No comments: