Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blind Dates-1

So, I meet girls in one of three ways: 1) people introduce me; 2) the internet (a culture specific dating website); 3) in a bar/club or other social activities.

A majority of my dates come from the website. A couple of weeks ago, a girl posted interest in me and said she liked what I said in the profile. I read hers and thought "hey she sounds pretty cool." I emailed and later we talked on the phone. We had some common interests so at the end of the conversation, she suggested that we meet. I was surprised that she wanted to meet after talking for only 30 minutes. Most girls want more talk before they'll actually meet. I agreed anyhow and we said we would plan things out over email. Through a couple of emails, we decided to meet in Princeton (about 90 minutes for each of us to drive). I got there a bit early so I walked around and than headed over to the restaurant to wait for her. She showed up ~20 minutes late (traffic). No big deal. We got a table and sat down. Looks-wise, she was above average. Lunch was awkward. First thing I noticed is that she kept looking around at everyone around us and never really made eye contact. She didn't really ask too many questions, and I found it a bit hard to keep the conversation going. She didn't seem to attached to her cultural roots (I'm definitely more attached to mine). I did ask how often she does these first dates and she giggled when she said something on the lines of too much. When the check came, she insisted on splitting it, so I threw down some cash for half plus tip. She reached in her purse and started using a calculator to figure out how much to put in.

We walked around Princeton for a while and got some ice cream, did some shopping and that was the end of the date. Overall, it was okay. Nothing crazy, a little bit of laughs and some uncomfortable silence. We parted with a hug and a thanks I had fun. Of course the next day I emailed to say I enjoyed myself and that we should meet again sometime. Since than we've emailed like twice, but haven't made any plans.

My takeaway from this one... I chalked this date up to being a dud. Nothing against the girl, but we just weren't feeling eachother from the beginning. I made an effort, but I don't think it was reciprocated. The whole eye contact and looking everywhere else thing really bothered me.

No comments: